Monday, July 6, 2009

Heels of compassion

Today I'll be making earrings. Lots of ladies like to pick up earrings as little souvenirs of the concerts. So, they go fast. I enjoy designing them and putting them together. So: win-win situation for all!
Yesterday I heard a sermon criticizing President Obama for saying at a visit to Saudi Arabia, "The U.S. isn't a christian country any more". I'm not absolutely sure what the President meant by that, but I can guess it was a strategic political statement aimed at mending relations with Muslim countries. There has been so much suffering and hatred in the Middle East in the name of christianity. I think he is trying to distance himself from that and begin anew on a balanced and secular playing field.
The pastor in his sermon was bemoaning the fact that we aren't a christian nation anymore. My question is: Which is better- to call ourselves a christian nation and not act like one (consider just the last 8 years!) or to not label ourselves as such and act with christian morals and ethics?
I, for one, would definitely choose the latter. Jesus himself showed us how to care for the poor, feed the hungry, tend to the sick. I think it's time we concentrated on that aspect of our christianity! Salvation can follow on the heels of compassion better than behind the wheels of a tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to talk to me, here is your chance.