Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What is on the bottom of Jörg's shoe?



What a pleasant and low-tension level photo session I experienced yesterday for the new album, LIFELINES. The fabulous photographer, Jörg Steinmetz ( www.visual-food.com ) kindly consented to shoot the pics here at my house. I was hesitant to ask him whether we could change the venue from his studio to my house, but he is very flexible and kindly agreed.
He arrived shortly before ten with his assistant, Maike. I showed him around the house, suggesting different corners and objects I wanted incoorporated into the shoot. Then, I took him to my neighbor's house who allowed us to photograph there, too. (I have GREAT neighbors!)
Soon after, the make-up artist, Jutta Krantz, arrived. I didn't know her, but Eddie did as she is one of the make-up ladies at the theater. The relationship between a make-up artist and her "victim" is tricky. She not only has to have the skills and materials to do a good job, there also has to be good chemistry between them so that the visagistin understands what the customer wants. I had a few magazine photos and we talked and she went to work on my make-up and hair while Jörg and Maike set up the equipment downstairs.
It was the first warm day this year. About the time we all got to work, it was over 21°. And the sun was pouring in the house.
Jörg used the time I was being labored over to take still photos of various objects in my house that are "lifelines" for me: objects that have sentimental value or tell a story. Ami Falk showed up at that point. She is doing the graphics for the album cover/booklet and she was able to direct Jörg to things that she wanted to employ in the collage. Ami is due to have a baby next month so we tried to get her to sit down as much as possible because, honestly, she looked like she would just pop at any moment!
Eddie agreed to keep the snacks and food coming, Luke assisted in my "styling" and we just all had a great time together.
What a team!
Jörg took probably 1000 photos. That is not unusual. It takes that many to find the hand full of pics that say what we want them to say, if you know what I mean.
Jutta did a great job on hair and make-up. She stayed with me the entire day, which was reassuring having her trained eyes looking out for wayward hairs, crooked collars, lipstick on teeth, etc. And I felt like she really understood what I wanted. When she initially asked what style the photo shoot would be, Eddie replied, "Somewhere between Nina Hagen and Angela Merkel"! I think she got it right.
I think we all had fun. I think the day was successful: we didn't break anything at the neighbor's house, the clothes covered up my "love handles", the make-up covered up my wrinkles, Ami didn't have the baby, the food was good, the weather gorgeous, and we all parted as friends. What more could I ask for?
When I booted up my computer this morning, Jörg had sent me this one photo. He thinks it should be the cover of the new album. What do you think????

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day! I know I'll see all the love and fun and creativity when I see the album graphics. My love and thanks to everyone who helps Cae's Cae-ness shine through onto her albums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhetorische Frage? Klar, das ist ein super Titelfoto für deine neue CD! Dieses Bild bringt das "Leben" rüber - es zeigt Emotionen und betont eine der wichtigsten Fragen des täglichen Lebens - die Frage nach geeignetem Schuhwerk. :-) ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. well....am i wrong or is there already a new album available?! How marvellous!!!! However i dont find it on your website....But I'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous (whose English is impeccable)
    The new album is recorded, the CD booklet is approved, interviews are being done, the marketing wheels are turning. When all is said and done, the title song of my new album , "Was Uns Bleibt" will remind us that the bottom line, the catalyst, the joy in it all is the LOVE ! the album will be released on September 9. Available also over amazon.de and iTunes.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to talk to me, here is your chance.