Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sometimes change is good.

Yesterday the string ensemble came to the studio to play on our new album. Florian had to do all that recording without us because Eddie and I were in Karlsruhe looking for a new suit for Eddie. He is singing the German national anthem for the first soccer game of the Bundesliga. We did find a new suit and he looks very classy in it! You can see for yourself tomorrow night (Friday) on television: ARD at 20:32 !
We will be in the studio next week working on the last 2 songs for our new album!!!
I was reminded today of my first paid singing job. I was a student at Baylor University in Waco, Texas and needed money. (What student doesn't?) So a fellow music major pianist and I went and auditioned for Surf and Sirloin Supper Club. Every Thursday and Friday night we did 3 sets of pop songs while the diners enjoyed their steaks and/or lobster dinners. We did fabulous songs like "Evergreen", "Midnight Blue", "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life", "Alfie", "Shop Around", and "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue". Tons of other songs, too. Fun fun songs. And we tried to learn about 5 new songs each week. And we took requests. When I remember how many classes I took each semester and how many choirs and singing groups I was in and how much homework I had and how much I was in love with Eddie then I'm amazed at how much energy I had.
Things have changed.
I still sometimes get paid to sing. But when I'm learning new songs, there's not much room in my little brain for anything else!
One other thing that has changed: One time at the Supper Club a man actually paid me to STOP singing! He couldn't enjoy his meal with me singing my emotions out all over his food. THAT hasn't happened since then.
Sometimes change is good.
p.s. I've discovered the "Axis of Awesome". Check out the 4 chords that rule the pop world. Pretty funny! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to talk to me, here is your chance.